Click here to listen to this sermon.
GOD vs. THE GODS
Different traditions number the Ten Commandments differently ...
Are the first two commandments one or two?
Two or One?
- No other Gods
- Do Not make Idols
- Are these saying the same thing?
- Are they two different points?
Among the Gods
- Exodus 15:11
- Exodus 18:11
- Joshua 23 24
- Psalm 86:8-10
Battle of the Gods
- Exodus 12:12
I will bring judgment on all the gods of Egypt. I am the LORD.
- Genesis 31
The God of my Father (v. 5)
Labans household gods (v.19)
Jacob respects Labans gods (vv. 31-32)
- Jacob wrestles with God Gen. 32
- Conflict with Shechem Gen. 33-34
- Throwing Away Foreign Gods Gen. 35
- Isaiah 44:13-20
An idol is a worthless, powerless thing
Its maker is mortal
- Psalm 115:2-4
- You must not have other gods
- Other powers may exist
- GOD is the only divine power worthy of our worship
- God is Jealous
- You must not make graven images
- The Character of GOD cannot be captured in an image
- An image is not God
West-Ark Church of Christ, Fort Smith, AR
Evening Sermon, 7 October 2007
Link to next sermon
Link to other sermons of Chris Benjamin