THE FEAR OF GOD'S SPIRIT
1 Samuel 18-20
Saul against David
- Saul has slain his thousands ...
- Reaction: Angry, galled, jealous
- Tormented despite Davids music
Once the people praise David, Saul loses his cool and his graciousness.
He is troubled by the evil spirit even though David is ministering to him through music.
- Throws Spear Twice 18:10
- Sent to battle 18:16
- Price for the Bride 18:24
- Jonathan/Truce 19:1-7
- Spear again 19:9
- Assassination at Night 19:11-17
- Pursuit 19:18-24
- David benefits Saul and Israel with his success
- Saul grows more fearful and jealous
- Saul is afraid of Gods Spirit upon David
The Triumph of Gods Spirit
- Saul and his troops are overwhelmed by the Spirit of God
- Saul is reduced to ecstatic prophesy He is among the prophets.
- Saul will not finally be able to resist Gods Spirit
Another Truce? 1 Samuel 20
- Jonathan advocates for David
- Arrow message
- Covenant between David and Jonathan
- David hides out from Saul
Flight or Fight
A House Divided Psalm 55
- If an enemy were insulting me,
I could endure it;
if a foe were raising himself against me,
I could hide from him.
- But it is you, a man like myself,
my companion, my close friend,
- with whom I once enjoyed sweet fellowship as we walked with the throng at the house of God.
West-Ark Church of Christ, Fort Smith, AR
Evening Sermon, 7 June 2009
Link to next sermon
Link to other sermons of Chris Benjamin