The Empty Tomb (John 20:1-10)
- Discuss the intellectual, social, emotional and religious issues with which the disciples of Jesus may have been struggling since His crucifixion.
- On the first day of the week, what alarmed Mary Magdalene so much that she ran seeking Peter and John?
What was her conclusion?
- When Peter and John heard the news of the missing body of the Savior, what did they immediately do?
- What is the significance of the linen being left in the tomb?
Why are You Weeping? (John 20:11-18)
- Mary Magdalene remained at the tomb weeping. Looking inside the tomb, she saw two angels. What question did they ask her?
What was her answer?
- Face to face with her Redeemer, the grieving Mary did not recognize Him. What caused her to finally focus on Jesus?
Do we ever find ourselves in a similar emotional situation that causes us to not focus on the Lord? What will help bring our focus back to Him?
- Nothing is sweeter than the sound of one's own name. How do you think Mary felt when she heard Jesus say, "Mary"?
What impact will it have on you when you hear Jesus speak your name?
- What message did Jesus ask Mary Magdalene to deliver?
From Fear to Courage (John 20:19-23)
- Why were the disciples behind closed doors?
- Who appears among them and in what manner?
- What evidence did the Lord present to the disciples that He was really the crucified One?
How does this show that the Lord's resurrection was really a bodily resurrection and not just a spirit?
- What is Jesus' message?
- When the apostles were convinced that Jesus was alive, what special blessing did He give them? See John 7:39 and 14:16, 17.
- What was their charge? See Matthew 16:19 and 18:18.
From Unbelief to Confidence (John 20:24-29)
- Thomas was not with the other apostles when Jesus appeared. What was his reaction to the news?
- What did it take to convince Thomas?
- Thomas finally and decisively addresses Jesus as "My Lord and my God." From the following scriptures, what attributes of deity are assigned to Jesus?
John 6:69; Hebrews 7:26; I Peter 1:15, 16 ____________________________________
Matthew 18:20; 28:20: Acts 18:10 __________________________________________
Matthew 28:18; Hebrews 1:3 ________________________________________________
Hebrews 1:11, 12; 13:8 ___________________________________________________
John 1:3; Colossians 1:16, 17; Hebrews 1:10 __________________________________
Matthew 2:11; 28:9; Hebrews 1:6; Phillippians 2:10 ___________________________
Mark 2:10; John 1:29; Acts 10:43; I John 1:7 _________________________________
- What does Jesus say about those who have not seen and yet have believed? See I Peter 1:8, 9.
From Death to Life (John 20:30-31)
- What was John's purpose in writing this gospel?
- What is the ultimate end of believing that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God?
Cast Your Net (John 21:1-14)
Our Risen Savior's Appearances
The order of Christ's appearances after the resurrection seems to be as follows:
1. To Mary Magdalene and the other women (Matthew 28:9; John 20:11-18; Mark 16:9, 10)
2. To the disciples on the road to Emmaus (Luke 24:13-15; Mark 16:12)
3. To Peter (Luke 24:34; I Corinthians 15:5)
4. To the ten in the upper room (John 20:19)
5. To the eleven including Thomas (John 20:26; Luke 24:36; Mark 16:14)
6. To the disciples at the Sea of Tiberias (John 21:1-24)
7. To the eleven on a mountain in Galilee (Matthew 28:16-20)
8. To the 500 brethren (I Corinthians 15:6)
9. To James (I Corinthians 15:7)
10. To all the apostles (I Corinthians 15:7)
11. To the ascension witnesses (Luke 24:50; Acts 1:3-12; Mark 16:19)
Harper Study Bible footnote to John 20:11
- In what activity were seven disciples engaged at the Sea of Tiberias?
What was the initial result?
- What does the man on the shore (Jesus) advise them to do?
What was the result?
- Describe the events of John 21:6-14.
Follow Me (John 21:15-23)
- How does the dialogue between Jesus and Peter emphasize the relationship between love and service?
- What question did Peter ask Jesus about John?
His Testimony is True (John 21:24-25)
- In our study of John, we witnessed Jesus perform seven major miracles proving that Jesus is Lord. Draw a line matching the miracles to what they proved about Jesus.
John 2:1-11|| Water to Wine|| ||Master of Quantity
John 4:46-54|| Cure Nobleman's Son|| ||Master of Time
John 5:1-18|| Cure of Paralytic|| ||Master of Death
John 6:1-13|| Feeding of the Multitude|| ||Master over Natural Law
John 6:16-21|| Walking on Water|| ||Master of Distance, Law
John 9:1-7|| Sight to the Blind|| ||Master of Creation, Quality
John 11:1-45|| Raising of Lazarus|| ||Master over Misfortune
- In our study of John, how did the following prove that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God?
His works ___________________________________________________
His walk ___________________________________________________
His words ___________________________________________________
- What in John's gospel has helped you most in reaffirming your belief in Jesus as your Risen Savior?